Dear Running Families,
Welcome to the start of the Five Points Runners 2013-14 season! This coming season promises to be as rewarding and challenging (if not more) for our runners. As a running community, our aim is to provide a quality and enriching experience for our runners. Please understand that our foremost concern is their health and safety.
Our first day of practice for the season is Sunday, September 15th. Parents please note that we participate in NYRR and USATF indoor and outdoor events from September through early July. Our main focus over the next few weeks will be on learning and reinforcing the fundamentals of Track & Field using formal and informal exercises designed to increase skills, build strength, improve form and increase flexibility. We will also focus on working as a team and looking at different ways to measure progress. Below you will find some important information you should know.
- Practice Location: Practices take place on the East River Park Track at E 6th Street and the FDR Drive New York, NY. We meet on Sundays at 9:30 – 11:00 am and Wednesdays at 5:30 – 6:30 pm. Should you need assistance locating the track on Sunday, please call Chris Vanderloo at (917) 287-2807 for directions. [Map and directions]
- Documents & Dues: Registration forms can be downloaded from our website. All runners, including those who were with us last season, will need to complete updated registration forms, including health forms.
The annual fee is $50 per runner; note that clothing, any equipment costs and some race fees are charged separately. Please plan to bring your forms with you to the track during the first two weeks; all completed documents and fees are due by Sunday, Sept. 29.
- Attire: Runners should wear good running sneakers at each practice. They should dress in layers, preferably of wicking fabric, in accordance with the weather conditions.
- What to Bring: Runners should bring a water bottle to each practice and should have a light snack for after practice. They should not eat a large, heavy meal prior to practice. Also, make sure that runners use the bathroom prior to practice!
- Survey: If you have not already completed the survey we respectfully ask that you please do so; it should take no more than 10-15 minutes of your time.
- Website Updates: We updated our website with general enhancements and will inform you when we can accept payments on-line. This will allow us to receive credit card and other payments for registration fees, uniform purchases and donations. This does not, however, preclude us from receiving check and cash payments.
- Calendar Dates: Please save the following key dates:
- Sunday, Sept. 15th, 9:30 am – Track practice resumes
- Friday, Sept. 20th – FPR Season Pot Luck Kickoff
- Friday, Oct 4. – FPR Volunteer Planning Committee Meeting – all families are welcome to join the committee
Five Points Runners Track Club